Monday, September 26, 2016

Siate Audaci

For pday last week went to the catacombs. It's like this underground museum-type thing with just a bunch of skeletons. They're bodies -well bones- of these rich families here who wanted to preserve their family members for some reason. One of their biggest attractions was a baby girl whose body has been preserved in this airtight container since she died in like 1912 and she's still in really good condition, she looks almost normal. It was kinda weird but fun. A few of the sisters felt sick and got creeped out but I just thought it was funny. But they didn't allow us to take pictures unfortunately so sorry about that, but if you do want to see pictures I think you could search the catacombs in Palermo and I think they have some stuff on their website..I'm not sure.

So funny/awkward story for the week. Tuesday after District meeting we went and ate lunch together then we were walking home and I was talking to this Anziano and right behind me was my companion who was talking to another one then behind them was their two companions talking. We we're just all walking and talking and whatever then all of a sudden I realize that I can't hear my companion's voice anymore. I'm like that's odd, so I turn around..and NO ONE IS THERE. I don't see my companion or any of the other missionaries. I had mini heart attack because I didn't know where my companion was and I was alone with this elder. Like what the heck how did this happen?!?! We turn around and start speed walking back down the street to find them. Finally we see my companion and one of the other elders stopped talking to this guy. The other two elders were a ways down from them talking to this other person. Apparently this guy just came up to my companion and started talking to her. Of course the elder stayed close to make sure everything was alright. I'm not sure what happen with the others but all I know is I was obviously oblivious to the whole thing. Turns out guy who stopped her was a friend of one of our members. 

On Friday we went Less active GANS finding with the Garrett's. Oh GANS=YSA because they're in charge of the young single adults here. We were going to different addresses to see if these people still even lived here anymore and if so we'd try to get in and get a return appointment. We had the coolest miracle happen. We went to this one place and rang the citofono (little buzzer thing that you press by their name then they come on the speaker and talk to you and decide if they want to buzz you in.) but no one answered. There were these young boys standing behind us waiting to ring and we asked if they knew this girl, one's like "yeah that's my aunt! Hang on the citofono doesn't work." Then this little twelve year old kid proceeds to hop the fence, buzz us in, then go see if she was home. Unfortunately she wasn't home but hey! At least we know now that she lives there and we can come back another time to see her! And we left our card with our number so hopefully she'll be willing to let us in in the future! 

We've been seeing the excommunicated woman, Maria, every week and really trying to work with her but she hasn't been able to come to church for a while because of the toll that the chemotherapy is taking on her body. The past couple times she could hardly move because her whole body was covered in burns. Last time we visited she asked Anziano Garrett for a blessing. This week we went over and she was almost completely healed from her burns! She looked so much healthier and happier too. She was finally able to come to church again this week! It was a miracle. 

We tried one last time to baptize Anna on Saturday before taking a little break and waiting a while. On Thursday we had a great lesson with her, she was filled with the spirit. She agreed to try again Saturday. We taught her again Friday. We talked about priesthood blessings. Not only did she refuse a blessing but stated very clearly that she did not want to be baptized. She did tell us that she does want to be baptized, but she won't do it because of her fear of the water. After sharing experiences and all the wonderful things about priesthood blessings and she still said she didn't want one. We asked her why and all she said is "non mi va." (It kind of means "I don't feel like it" but kind of different. It literally translates to "to me, it doesn't go", I don't really know how to explain it) It was hard, but we have decided to drop her as an investigator right now because there is not much we can still do for her at this point. We will continue to work with her though, by working with her mother as a less-active, still focusing a lot on her because that is what helps the mother the most anyway, but just really strengthening the mother so that she can stay active (she has been in and out of activity since she was baptized like 20 years ago) and therefore Anna will continue coming to church as well. When the time is right, she will be baptized, I'm sure of it. For now, we will still do all that we can to help prepare her for that moment. 

Lastly, they haven't shown the women's conference here yet but my companion and I used our lunch time yesterday to watch it in the church on lds.org. I loved it so much. I love how direct sister oscarson was about teaching children correct principles regardless of the possibility of offending someone. I have found that this is so true on my mission. I don't know if you guys know this but Italians are pretty infamous for a few thing, two of them being; their pride, and how easily they take offense to things. As a new missionary I was worried to teach certain things because I didn't want to offend anyone, for instance, I was hesitant to say that this is the one and only church of Jesus Christ with the fullness of truth. And that a man can be saved only by baptism in this church by the proper authority that it has, and in no other way can a man gain salvation. 
I realized that there is a difference between being bold, and being rude. We should never seek to discredit other religions for the good things that they have and bring to this world, but we should also NEVER discredit our church for the unique things that we do have. We can peacefully bare testimony of the things we have come to know are true through the power of the Holy Ghost and invite others to ask their loving Heavenly Father if they can receive this witness as well. 

Cari miei, I love you, I pray for you. I hope that you will stay bold and firm in your testimonies, always looking to be builders of God's Kingdom. Dio sia con voi. 

Con affetto, 
Sorella Bonzo

 My favorite cathedral I've been in. Made completely out of gold, by hand and the walls are covered with stories from the Bible rather than saints!

Chips! (Basically French fries with a sauce on top) they're really popular in Europe 


Last pday 

This says it's a Muslim museum. It was closed when we tried to go inside though. 

Look it's Grass!!! It's so rare to find a park like this here. 



Inviato da iPad