Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Buona Pasquetta!

Buona Pasquetta!

Today is in fact a holiday here in Italy. Here we had Pasqua (Easter)
on Sunday and Pasquetta today! I don't really understand its purpose,
other than to have another day free from work and school, but it is
what it is!

We worked with tons of less-actives this week and unfortunately had to
drop all of our investigators, but we are determined to find more this
week!

Some miracles for the week:

1. On Tuesday we had to go all throughout the town getting my permesso
done (it's basically a bunch of legal stuff I have to do in order to
live here.) We have had no time tomdomit and planned on doing it all
on Tuesday (I had to have it in the mail by Wednesday or I could be
deported) soo not our best idea, but it just happened that way. We had
a meeting earlier that day that lasted longer than we had planned on
so we were getting worried that we wouldn't have enough time to get
everything done..not to mention we didn't know exactly where we had to
go or what to do to be honest. My trainer said a quick prayer as we
walked to the bus stop that our bus we arrive on time (it often
arrives really late) and then suddenly a member drove by and offered
us a ride! This member's name is Betty and she's a recent convert. SHE
IS AMAZING. She dropped everything to help us. She drove us all around
that day taking us to all of the different places we had to go and
even making us lunch at her house! We could not have gotten that done
without Betty. She was a miracle for us that day.

2. On Sunday we were far away from home and needed to catch a bus to
get back, the only problem was, buses don't really run on holidays. We
waited for a little bit then Sorella Clark asked if I'd offer a prayer
and use some of my "greeny miracles". I thanked God from many things
and then asked that we would receive a means of transportation so that
we could get ho,e and continue to work. I hadn't even closed the
prayer when a bus drove up! And if that wasn't enough, a little bit
after we sat down a man across the isle and down a few rows read
Sorella Clark's name tag and asked who we were! We started to tell him
and we had the whole front of the bus's attention by that point. We
explained our purpose and a little bit of the restoration then gave
them all pass along cards. It was amazing!

Pasqua was wonderful! Definitely not like home, and it didn't really
feel like a holiday, but it was amazing day for missionary work! We
had Pasqua Pranzo (Easter Lunch) at Sorella Pistita's home. She's the
mother of our investigator and the lady who makes the bread for the
sacrament each week. She is a VERY good cook. We had some delicious
sard (Sardinian) pasta to start, then lamb for the meat. Sorella Clark
and I got brave and decided to try the brain as well as the tongue of
the lamb. The whole family was laughing at us but it ended up not
being that bad if you didn't think about it. The tongue was kind of
like jerky and the brain had the consistency of a sunny-side-up egg. I
wouldn't mind eating them again. Then we had veggies and salad, her
amazing bread, and strawberries with whipped cream..but don't think
that we're done yet! Usually you would be if it were a regular meal
appointment but because it was Pasqua we had Columba (a special
Italian cake that they only have during Pasqua time) and they gave
each of us our very own giant chocolate egg! These are a big thing
here. Each kid gets one that you get to break open after Pranzo and
there's a little capsule with a toy inside. I was so beyond full by
the time I left though because they give you a ton to start with and
then keep offering you seconds and don't really give you the chance to
say no. I think they're trying to fatten me up because I swear they
give me larger portions than everyone else.
That evening we decided to go finding because hello, it's Easter so
who can turn down a message about Christ? (Actually a lot of people
but that's not important!) We found the most beautiful park..its huge!
And it was filled with people. It's crazy because here in Italy a park
is usually an island of cement in the middle of the street with a few
benches, wifi, and maybe some trees. You hardly ever see any grass
here. But this was a huge park win grass and tress and a little pond
with turtles and bridges and even a swing set! We walked around the
whole thing and talked to tons of people! Some rejected us, most took
our pass-along card but didn't care to listen or watch our video, but
some were actually super interested!! One lady was so amazed at how
you we are and what we're doing. She said that her son is 22 and could
not imagine him doing anything like this. We got her number and are
planning to call her tomorrow so I hope we'll be able to teach her!

Okay lastly, my funny story for the week. Every Friday Sorella Clark
and I do this thing we call "Friday Finding" where at the end of the
night we go "finding" for a new pizza, gelato, or pastry that we can
try. We decided to try a new pizza shop this week. First let me say
that it was so good. We watch the man make a giant pizza right in
front of us then stick it into his big oven. When he pulled it out
he'd fold it in halves and cut it. It tasted like a grilled cheese
sandwich but with pizza inside! We decided to take a selfie with out
cool pizzas then the bus came so we ran to get on. Then I realized
that my camera was actually recording so I tried to stop it but the
bus driver started going and these busses are crazy so if you don't
hang on to something you're toast. Sure enough I wasn't hanging on and
my camera flew out of my hands right in front of some Italian guys
that we would call ragazzacci (punks). Then to make it worse, right
after I picked it up we went around a roundabout type thing at full
speed and I dropped it again!! They started making fun of us. They're
like "look at these girls eating their pizza on the bus alone on a
Friday night" -let me just interject that eating is kind of a big deal
to them so it's only done around a table at home or in a restaurant or
something like that. They never eat on the bus.- "they probably live
alone and don't have any guys in their lives" HAHAHAHAH I got judged
hardcore but the funny thing is they're right hahaha. Also I don't
think they know that we heard/understood them so that was funny too.

Lastly, I'm sorry because I took all of the good pictures on my camera
and the cord I bought to connect my camera to my doesn't work. I'll
try to buy a card reader this week. But for now, I'll send a few
pictures that I took on my iPad.

Also, I just want to let you all know as a public service
announcement: if you come to Italy in the spring/ summer BRING BUG
SPRAY. Our apartment is hot at night so we left the window open and i
have been EATEN ALIVE by mosquitos. Anyway, just thought I'd give you
the heads up! Haha

Letter to President
This week a little tough for us as far as the work goes because we had
to drop all of our investigators except 2 and are planning to do a
drop-lesson with one tomorrow. There were various reason for each of
them, but the majority were dodging our phone calls and the last one
will not keep commitments and does not show a desire to know this
gospel or follow through with the commitments we give her. But I truly
believe that the things we learned at Specialized Training were
inspired things that we needed to hear. Sorella Clark and I have
decided to make this week a "Finding Week." We are planning to focus a
lot of our time and efforts into finding people who are prepared to
hear and accept this gospel. I am excited to work through the spirit
this week to know where to go and who to speak with. I hope that we
will be able to see and report the fruits of our labors next week.