Monday, March 21, 2016

Everything is better in Italy!

Hello friends and family!! So much has happened since I got to email
last so in sorry if this is really long. I'll try to condense it as
much as I can. Oh and 1st things first: if any of you want to know my
mission president's wife's blog its: romeitalymission.blogspot.com she
puts a ton of pictures up so she has some of my group when we arrived
and they'll visit my city for specialized training this week so I,
sure there'll be some then just so you're aware!

So last Monday morning we left Provo and the MTC for good. It was the
coolest thing because on our flight to Italy I wasn't by any of the
other missionaries but I was seated right next to an Italian man! He
was the nicest guy and we talked for a lot of the flight because I'd
ask him one question about Italy and he'd talk for 30 minutes about
it. I told him a lot about my purpose as a missionary and he was
really impressed that we learn a new language just to come and teach
people here. He was like "there's Mormons in Italy?" Hahaha it was so
cool though.

K the 1st day here we got here at 9am. I could not sleep on the plane
so I was super tired but they kept us going all day. The first thing
we got to do was go see the Rome temple! We got to stay in The Villa
for Tuesday and Wednesday night which is our mission home. It's called
the villa because it was the house that Mussolini built for his
daughter. It's absolutely beautiful. After lunch the APs took us
sight-seeing all over Rome. We saw the Colosseum and tons of over
really cool stuff that I don't really remember the names of. We even
got to go into a Cathedral and it was magnificent. That night they
took us out for Kebobs. I actually don't know what kind of food that
is but it's not Italian. But it was still so good.

Everything is better in Italy. I'm convinced. The fruit and veggies
sweeter, all of the buildings are ancient-looking and beautiful, and
right now I'm sitting on a beautiful beach emailing because their
beaches have wifi!!

I love President and Sorella Waddoups so much already. They are so
funny but also so spiritual. We got Sorella Waddoups to do her duck
call and moose call for us and we could not stop laughing.

We had our welcome dinner on Wednesday night then our golden envelope
ceremony where we found out who our trainer will but and which area
we'd go to first. It was like opening another mission call!
And guess what?!?! I am on the beautiful Sardinia in Cagliari!! It is
the most beautiful place. I am so blessed to be here. This is where
Italians come to vacation because it's so great. So on thrusts day
morning I got up early once again and said goodbye to all of my MTC
friends and went to the airport with 5 elders. It was super weird not
having a companion but they took care of me.
Once I got here I met my companion Sorella Clark! She is the happiest,
most positive, brightest person ever. I love her so much. We did
English course that night where we taught English to a bunch on
nonmembers. It was super cool. Then we missed our bus so we ran home
in the pouring rain and stopped at a pizzeria on the way home to
celebrate my first day!

My first lunch appointment was on Friday with la famiglia sanna. They
fed me something I can't remember the name in Italian but it's like
fennel. We also had pasta and meat and strawberries. It's so funny how
they do it here. In all the meals they start out with a pasta then
meat then salad then fruit and veggies them dessert.

My first gelato here was at McDonald's on Friday night after we taught
one of our less actives. It was so good though. McDonald's here is
like super good and fancy plus they have a whole cafe thing with tons
of Italian pastries. ,y gelato was called Bacci which means "kisses"
it had chocolate and Nutella sauce in it. They are obsessed with
Nutella here.

On Saturday we visited recent converts named Eride and Roberto. They
are the sweetest people. And they had 5 cats hahaha. I got a picture
with Hercules wearing his tie. We also visited the famiglia puddu. I
emailed my mission pres about that so il just send that because I am
running out of time! It was a miracle though!!

I had to bare my testimony in church on Sunday. It was so scary but
all of the memebers are so sweet and complimented me. We actually
have a really big ward for Italy here. We get fresh homemade bread for
the sacrament every week Oh and so funny, After sacrament meeting
everyone went into the kitchen and got a snack before Sunday school.
They love their food.

That night we had dinner with Sorella saffina and we brought one of
our less actives with us. It went super well. The people are so sweet
here! Sorella saffina drove us home. And I found out that even old
ladies drive fast here. Sorella saffina is pretty old but she drove
like a race car driver. We went for 0-60 real fast on her tiny
residential street.

Today we are at the beach for our pday. The weather is so nice here. I
love it! So I'm here and happy and healthy and loving life!

I don't have the cord for my camera which is sad right now so il just
send a few pictures that are on my iPad for now.

Letter to my mission pres:
It has been a very exciting and exhausting last few days, but I am so
grateful to be here in Calgliari. The ward has been wonderful and
welcoming to me as I work to come to know and love them. Sorella Clark
is such am example to me. She is the kind of missionary that I am
striving to become. I have set some goals to share the gospel at all
times and in all places, always making sure that the people I speak
with know my purpose for being here. I have struggled a little but
with these conversations due to the language, but this week my
testimony of the gift of tounges has truly been strengthened. I have
been able to understand people more and more each day.
Sorella Clark and I have shared the "Egli Viva" with some of the
less-active members who we are working with. It is such a powerful
testimony of our savior and I know that it has touched each and every
one of their hearts. In fact, we had a miracle this week! We decided
to visit a less-active family who hadn't been to church in 4 months
and also wouldn't let missionaries or members in during that time. But
they let us in that day! And they were all home! Sorella Clark warned
me that this family is usually very rowdy and often won't even let us
share a spiritual message. But this time they allowed us to share our
message. We had prepared to show the "Egli Viva" video and talk about
the true meaning of Easter as well as the significance of what Christ
did for us. They all sat quietly and watched intently to the video. I
could feel the spirit in the room. At the end we invited them to come
to church on Sunday to which they finally agreed. On Sunday I was sad
not to see them when the meeting first started, but I wasn't very
suprised because they didn't sound very convincing when they promised
that they would come. Then about 10 minutes into the meeting, the
whole family walked in!! And they stayed for the entire 3 hours of
Chruch! We were so happy to see them there, it was truly a miracle.

Sent from my iPad

1st gelato with my trainer